RDHAP Program Overview
West Los Angeles College's 150-hour RDHAP program is the first and most widely-recognized program of its kind in California.
Approved by the Dental Board of California and the Committee of Dental Auxiliaries at its inception in 2002, and now by the Dental Hygiene Board of California. This program prepares registered dental hygienists to become licensed to operate a private practice providing dental hygiene services in homes, schools, residential facilities, and underserved areas.
The California State RDHAP written licensing exam is offered to participants upon completion of the program, and meeting all other criteria set forth by the Dental Hygiene Board of California. Since the RDHAP program's inception at West Los Angeles College, 100% of our program participants have passed the written licensing exam.
To learn more about the RDHAP program for dental hygienist professionals, consider attending our RDHAP Symposiums.
RDHAP Licensing Requirements*
To be eligible for licensing, students need:
*Program participants must furnish items 2, 3, and 4 prior to admission to the program.
Applications are accepted throughout the year.
Application due date for the Spring 2024: December 15, 2023.
RDHAP Program Fee
- A passing grade on the California RDHAP written licensing exam.
- A Bachelor Degree or an Associate of Science Degree requiring a minimum 120 semester college units from an accredited institution
- Verification of a minimum of 2000 hours of employment in clinical practice within the preceding 36 months to the licensing application.
- Have an active California Registered Dental Hygiene License
- Have a current CPR/BLS card for the Healthcare Provider (offered as Allied Health 21 by WLAC).
The cost of the RDHAP program is $4,500, which includes all materials and supplies required to complete the course, and Business Plan Workshop (Date TBD).
A $500 deposit is due with application to the RDHAP Program. The remaining tuition is paid in three installments of $1,400, $1,300, and $1,300 each (see payment schedule for specific dates).
The RDHAP Program includes:
- RDHAP Business Plan Workshop - 1 day event (Date TBD)
- 4 weekends (Friday & Saturday) of seminar-style continuing education on WLAC campus
- 100 hours of distance learning education
- 50 hours of Classroom instruction
RDHAP Program 2024 Classroom Meetings*:
*Dates subject to change.
All lecture courses will be held at West Los Angeles College (due to the uncertainties of the current COVID19 pandemic, meetings will be held via ZOOM, however, if the LA County Department of Public Health and Los Angeles Community College District incorporate measures that allow in person meetings, the Program will consider offering both options: in person and remotely access for our meetings).
Location: WLAC Campus, MSA Building, Room 103
January 12 & 13, 2024
February 16 & 17, 2024
March 22 & 23, 2024
April 12 & 13, 2024
The RDHAP program various covers topics, including the following:
- Business Plan Development
- Legal Issues facing the RDHAP
- How to Develop Contracts with Institutions
- How to Operate and Administer Your Business including Insurance Billing and Processing
- Working with Medically Compromised Individuals
- Portable Dental Equipment
- Infection Control in Alternative Environments